This recipe was inspired by a holiday in Goa, India. We stayed at this exceptional place called Elsewhere. It’s one of those places you discover on the grapevine and you almost don’t want to share its existence for fear of disturbing its tranquility and beauty. Situated on a beautiful stretch of beach on the Arabian Ocean, the boutique hotel consists mainly of four beautiful beach houses, each with its little story, truly exclusive. Both time we went, we stayed a the Piggery (very adequate for our little piggy family), right on the beach witnessing every sunrise and sunset: absolute heaven !
Unlike other pestos, this recipe doesn’t contain cheese, I wanted to keep it asian and so I’ve added greek yogurt which is close to the Indian curd. The yogurt mellows the spiciness of the pesto and gives a beautiful smooth texture. A little dash of lime juice and you are sure to have a bright green sauce that will remain beautifully fresh for at least a day. I love this pesto so much I’ve never managed to keep it longer!
It’s a great accompaniment to any dish, especially BBQ and grilled meat, I ate my pesto with a nice, juicy, grilled beef fillet. Stay posted for other ways to use it!
So here is the recipe for my Luscious, Goan inspired Coriander Pesto
Luscious Coriander Pesto
- 2 big bunches of coriander, washed with stems (about 80 gr)
- 1/3 cup of raw cashew nuts
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 1 piece of ginger, the size of your thumb cut into small pieces
- 1 green chilli, deseeded if you can’t stand the heat
- 1 Tbsp of olive oil
- 1 Tbsp of greek yogurt
- Juice of 1 big medium lime
- In a pan over medium heat, dry roast the cashew nuts, swirling them around to make avoid burning them. You’ll know there are ready when they start releasing their oily essence and aroma.
- In a food processor, add coriander, garlic, ginger, green chilli, cashew nuts and olive oil. Give it a good blen.
- When all the ingredients are well blended add the yogurt and the lime juice. Give it a few extra pulses to bring everything together. There you have, a delicious, beautifully green coriander/cilantro pesto!!