Spring, my favourite season. Unfortunately here is Angola, we don’t get four seasons. We have a rainy season and a dry season and we are lucky to have wonderful weather and temperatures throughout the year. At the moment, we’re in the middle of the rainy season and it’s pouring buckets outside! Perfect weather for cooking!
Anyhow, to celebrate this beautiful season, I wanted to make a green quiche. Quiche is something I love to make. It’s relatively easy and quick to put together, you can use any ingredient you want – vegetarian or not – and it’s lunch box friendly. You can make it with or without pastry too. I always make sure I have rolls of readymade pastry sheets in my freeze which saves lot of time if I need to put together a quick lunch or dinner. All you need to do is pop the quiche in the oven and prepare a nice salad to make the perfect quick meal.
To make this spring quiche, I just used the leftover vegetables in my fridge: steamed broccoli, peas and asparagus. You can add pretty much any vegetable you have. Just make sure that they are blanched or steamed so as not to release too much liquid when cooking. I’ve also added parsley and mint, just because I love mint with peas and I find it so refreshing but you can add any herb of your liking: coriander, rosemary, oregano…
Finally, I added feta cheese because it marries well with the mint and the vegetables but you can substitute with blue cheese or simply omit it. It’s really a matter of flavour.
- Ready to roll shortcrust pastry
- 1/4 c blanched asparagus (frozen is good too)
- 1c steamed asparagus
- 1/4 c blanched peas
- 1 tbsp chopped mint leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 3-4 spring onions
- 1 egg and 2 egg yolks
- 200 ml single cream
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 c feta cheese, or blue cheese if you prefer (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180ºC, gas mark 4.
- Line a 20cm tart tin with the pastry and place in the fridge while you prep the rest of the ingredients.
- Place the egg, the egg yolk and cream in a bowl, season with salt and pepper and whisk well.
- Add to this mixture, the vegetables, herbs and parmesan cheese. Mix well.
- Pour the mixture on the pastry and crumble the feta cheese on top.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown and just set.
- Set aside to cool slightly before serving. Can be eaten cold too!