I love vegetables and most of my meals are created around all sorts of veggies. Don’t get me wrong, I am not vegetarian, I’ll crave chicken and prawns now and then but I simply need my daily dose of greens, reds and other rainbow coloured fruit and veg! That could be a reason why I love Moroccan and Indian food so much. People know how to cook them, how to make them tasty and bring out all their flavours. The vegetables become the main attraction and not just a mere side dish like in other cuisines.
These patties are perfect as meat alternative in burgers or on their own with a salad. They’re quick to make and like most things I make are very versatile. I’ve made them with zucchini but you can add any vegetable you want: carrots, beetroot, spinach, butternut squash, sweet potato, kale corn or even a medley of vegetables. The same goes for the herbs and spices. Really, the choice is yours and that’s my kind of cooking! A side note, if you’re watching your sugar level then I would go for a green vegetable.
I’ve cooked them in rings to make them all round and pretty but for a quicker version, you could make a big patty (like a Swiss rösti) in a small pan and then divide it in quarters. They would also be delicious with a yogurt-based sauce.
Zucchini and Oats Patties
- 160g oats (a bit more than 1/2 cup)
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 1 onion diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp of grated ginger (optional)
- 1 tbsp of parsley, chopped (or any other herb of your liking)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp of curry powder (or cumin and coriander mix)
- Olive oil, salt and pepper
- In a small pan, add 1 tbsp of oil and fry the chopped onion until it is just tender. Towards the end, add the garlic and the ginger.
- In a bowl, combine the raw oats, the water, the grated zucchini, the eggs (lightly beaten), spices, herbs and cooked onions. Mix well with your fingers or spoon. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Shape mixture into 2cm thick patties.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in large nonstick pan over medium heat. Cook patties in batches until golden brown, adding more oil if necessary, about for 4-5 minutes each side or until cooked through.